Everyone gets together for Memorial Day – It’s what we do! We grill out, we set up the barbeque, we roll out cold drinks, we often go to the lake if we can… It’s a fun holiday where we get time off work, and there is usually a parade and a commemoration service to honor our veterans. This Memorial Day, try the following fun trivia questions at your get-together:
1. What do bumblebees and the Air Force have in common?
Answer: The Air Force used aerodynamics discovered during research on bumblebees on their F-117 fighter.
2. Just because you “remember the Alamo,” doesn’t mean you know what the word means in Spanish. What does Alamo mean in Spanish?
3. What is the only animal in the world that can’t jump?
Answer: the elephant
4. True or false: A duck’s quack doesn’t echo.
Answer: True! (But no one knows why.)
5. Which U.S. State is closest to Bermuda?
Answer: North Carolina
6. Of all the “Founding Fathers” who signed the Declaration of Independence, how many of them went on to become U.S. Presidents? (Bonus if you can name them!)
Answer: Two – Thomas Jefferson and John Adams.
7. We know the famous line, but what was the actual first word spoken on the moon?
“Houston. Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has Landed.” – Neil Armstrong’s first words back to base when his shuttle landed on the moon.
8. On a clear night, about how many stars do you think the average human eye can see?
Answer: 2000-3000 stars! (You can bet most people will be WAAAAAY off!)
9. What is the ONLY substance on earth that is lighter as a solid than as a liquid?
10. True or False: There are over 250 ways to make change for a dollar.
Answer: True! There are actually 293 different ways to make change for a dollar.
Now, when you start throwing out trivia questions left and right, it would be fun to sweeten the pot by offering an incentive to winning at trivia. However you decide to celebrate this Memorial Day, be sure to keep it fun while remembering the reasons behind the holiday.